5 Steps To Content That Positions You As An Expert
Great marketers position themselves as go to experts. Most businesses, yes, that includes you too, have tons of competition. The good thing is that you compete with a bunch of other vanilla businesses. If you can position yourself as an expert you can pick and choose your clients and you name your price.
Here is how you create content that positions you as an industry expert (In this example, we are describing a web design company. The same strategy can be applied to most other businesses.)
Step 1: Questions
List the most common questions your prospects ask when contacting you:
1. How much does a website costs?
2. How long does it take to build a website?
3. What is your process to create a new website?
4. Can you give me ideas of what my website should look like?
5. What features should my site include?
6. What is the appropriate content for my homepage and inner pages?
7. What is the makeup of your team?
8. Can you help me with SEO?
9. Can you help me write content for my pages?
10. What ecommerce platform do you recommend for my business?
The above questions are commonly asked because they are common concerns. Your content is to provide detailed answers to the above questions. As you answer these questions, avoid industry jargon. Use simple language. You are not trying to impress anyone. Your goal is to be helpful. It is important that you don’t assume what people want to know about. If you are not sure ask.
Step 2: Schedule
Now that you have made a commitment to content marketing, keep yourself accountable. An editorial calendar is a must. There are WordPress plugins you can use. As an example, The WordPress Editorial Calendar is free and very popular, but there are many other out there for you to try.
Editorial calendars help you with the following:
- See when your posts will be posted.
- Visually view your upcoming posts.
- Rearrange the publish date of your posts.
- Manage drafts.
- Publish posts.
- Determine the status of your posts.
- Manage posts from multiple authors.
If you schedule it, it is much more likely to get written and published. It is a simple way to keep you posting regularly.
Step 3: Create content
Most content is text such as blog posts, articles, white papers, reports, lists, and case studies. The best content marketers create content in many forms. Video is one of the most popular content, but podcasts, webinars, interviews, infographics, and presentations are also very effective.
Focus more on quality than quantity. If you only have time for one new piece of content a week, make it count. Try a different angle. Explain things from an unexpected point of view. Get expert opinion. Interview influencers. Whatever you can do to create outstanding content, do it.
Remember the most common questions listed above? Create your content around those questions.
- Write a detailed post discussing the cost of a website. If you charge $5000 for a website, detail the reasons why it has to cost that much. Talk about paying your staff and the cost of sales and marketing.
- Make a video explaining the process of creating a website. Then, post it on Youtube and other video publishing sites.
- Create a book that includes your most popular blog posts. Publish it on Amazon as a Kindle book, or give it away as a gift for joining your email list.
- Create a presentation about SEO. Post it on Slideshare.
- Interview influencers and turn them into podcasts. Publish your interviews on iTunes and Stitcher.
- Transcribe your audio and video content and turn them into blog posts and articles.
Step 4: Reach out to influencers
There are several reasons you want influencers to be part of your content marketing strategy:
1. It gives you greater credibility. When you quote influencers people will more likely listen.
2. It helps you get insight into what’s working.
3. Your increase your own knowledge on the topic.
4. The influencers might share your content with their own networks. (This should be your lowest priority. It is nice if it happens, but don’t be surprised if it doesn’t.)
Step 5: Promote
Promote your content the following ways:
- Send it to your email list
- Make your content sharable
- Ask influencers to share
- Submit guest posts
- Comment on related blogs
Do you have any tips you would like to share about getting expert status? share them below!